SubjectRe: 2.4.22-pre lockups (now decoded oops for pre10)
On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 18:12:08 -0700
Mike Fedyk <mfedyk@matchmail.com> wrote:

> > > It is unlikely for bad ram to survive memtest for several hours.
> >
> > memtest is single threaded, UP kernel works fine too.
>
> Are you saying that one CPU can't saturate the memory bus? Or maybe we're
> hitting something on the CPU bus, or just that SMP will change the timings
> and stress things differently? Or that if memtest doesn't test from the
> second CPU then it could be a faulty cpu/L2?

Well, if memtest does not use a second available CPU then probably we should
ask the author about this...

> Grr, has anything been done to verify the hardware is running withing specs
> and isn't too hot?

In fact we are talking about datacenter environment with air conditioning and
the like.
Besides the favourite test box I have others (already mentioned in this thread)
- SMP with completely different hw - where I can make 2.4.21 and above crash,
too.

Regards,
Stephan

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:47    [W:0.105 / U:0.784 seconds]