SubjectConsole on USB
I have just spent a very frustrating evening trying to get console on USB
working. My laptop does not have regular DB-9 serial connectors, only
USB. So I ordered a USB to serial converter, configured a 2.6.0-test3
kernel, added a console=/dev/ttyUSB0 to the kernel command line and
connected this to my desktop with a null modem adapter. However, I am
unable to get output from this setup on the desktop. On another setup I
can get a normal serial console output, so I am fairly confident I can set
things up correctly.

Googling around and doing a search on lkml archives gave some minimal
help, but I can find very little info past early to mid 2.5 kernels. The
configuration doesn't quite seem to work the way I read documentation.
For instance, the web pages I can find indicate I should be able to build
this modular; however the configuration makes the setting of console on
usb depend on USB being y and EXPERIMENTAL being defined.

In /var/log/messages I can see the USB-to-serial converter being recogized
and the driver being loaded, just before the synaptics touchpad is probed.

It looks like things are correct, but, as I said, I am unable to get
output. Am I headed for frustration, or is there some advice to get good
results?

Is there any advice I might be able to use to get this going? I really
want to be able to catch some oops output.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:47    [W:0.281 / U:0.324 seconds]