    SubjectRe: cache limit
    On 19 August 2003 07:39, Anthony R. wrote:
    > I would like to tune my kernel not to use as much memory for cache
    > as it currently does. I have 2GB RAM, but when I am running one program
    > that accesses a lot of files on my disk (like rsync), that program uses
    > most of the cache, and other programs wind up swapping out. I'd prefer to
    > have just rsync run slower because less of its data is cached, rather
    > than have
    > all my other programs run more slowly. rsync is not allocating memory,
    > but the kernel is caching it at the expense of other programs.

    There was a discussion (and patches) in the middle of 2.5 series
    about O_STREAMING open flag which mean "do not aggressively cache
    this file". Targeted at MP3/video playing, copying large files and such.

    I don't know whether it actually was merged. If it was,
    your program can use it.

    > With 2GB on a system, I should never page out, but I consistently do and I
    > need to tune the kernel to avoid that. Cache usage is around 1.4 GB!

    So why did you configured your system to have huge swap?
    That's rather contradictory setup ;)

    > I never had this problem with earlier kernels. I've read a lot of comments
    > where so-called experts poo-poo this problem, but it is real and
    > repeatable and I am
    > ready to take matters into my own hands to fix it. I am told the cache
    > is replaced when
    > another program needs more memory, so it shouldn't swap, but that is not
    > the
    > behaviour I am seeing.
    > Can anyone help point me in the right direction?

    I'd say stop allocating insane amounts of swap.
    Frankly, with 2G you may run without swap at all.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:47    [W:0.022 / U:93.796 seconds]