SubjectRe: Input issues - key down with no key up
On Mon, 18 Aug 2003, Andries Brouwer wrote:

> > Well, mode #3 with no translation in the i8042 looks quite sanely.
>
> In theory perhaps. In practice it isnt sane at all.

Yep, the design is clean. And we can handle it for good devices, for its
additional functionality (e.g. autorepeat of <Pause> ;-) ) and to have a
clean reference design of code. I see no reason to "punish" good devices
for the faults of bad ones.

> (That is, the majority of the keyboards sold today do not do as one
> would wish. Since Microsoft does not require anything for Set 3,
> behaviour in Set 3 is essentially random, especially for these
> additional keys and buttons. A single keypress may give several
> scancodes, or none at all. Many laptops do not have any support

Well, we need not take care of non-standard keys -- as such they need to
be handled on a case-by-case basis (with customized key maps). The sort
of standard Win keys seem to have a consistent definition across devices;
at least it was the case with the ones I've encountered.

If standard keys are broken, then we can still revert to mode #2 with all
its limits as we do now. At least we can disable the translation in the
i8042 to get full and unambiguous scan codes.

> for Set 3. USB compatibility only implements compatibility with
> translated Set 2.)

That's actually irrelevant -- it's already an emulation. AFAIK, we can
handle USB keyboards natively just fine, so we don't need to make use of
this translation layer.

Maciej