SubjectRe: 2.4.22-pre lockups (now decoded oops for pre10)
On 19 Aug 2003 14:10:22 +0100
Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:

> On Maw, 2003-08-19 at 08:12, Stephan von Krawczynski wrote:
> > > Are you saying that one CPU can't saturate the memory bus? Or maybe
> > > we're hitting something on the CPU bus, or just that SMP will change the
> > > timings and stress things differently? Or that if memtest doesn't test
> > > from the second CPU then it could be a faulty cpu/L2?
> >
> > Well, if memtest does not use a second available CPU then probably we
> > should ask the author about this...
>
> I'm sure he'd give you a quote for adding SMP support if you asked.

Well, actually I don't want to burn down his time as long as I don't see a need
for it. Since I am pretty confident to make the box work in SMP under 2.4.20 a
memtest will most certainly not give any additional information, be it running
UP or SMP.
Instead I will invest another day and convert the whole system back to
reiserfs, because the ext3 fs cannot be used under 2.4.20 - I don't know why.
Additionally reiserfs is better for testing possible patches because it crashes
in much shorter time than ext3 setup.
2.4.20 setup gives me a simple testcase to prove people right or wrong that are
talking about a hardware issue.

Regards,
Stephan

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:47    [W:0.129 / U:0.052 seconds]