SubjectRe: cache limit
On Mon Aug 18, 2003 at 11:20:24PM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> Denis Vlasenko <vda@port.imtp.ilyichevsk.odessa.ua> wrote:
> >
> > There was a discussion (and patches) in the middle of 2.5 series
> > about O_STREAMING open flag which mean "do not aggressively cache
> > this file". Targeted at MP3/video playing, copying large files and such.
> >
> > I don't know whether it actually was merged. If it was,
> > your program can use it.
>
> It was not. Instead we have fadvise. So it would be appropriate to change
> applications such as rsync to optionally run
>
> posix_fadvise(fd, 0, -1, POSIX_FADV_DONTNEED)
>
> against file descriptors just before closing them, so all the pagecache
> gets thrown away. (Well, most of the pagecache - dirty pages won't get
> dropped - the app must fsync the files by hand first if it wants this)

This is not supported in 2.4.x though, right?

What if I don't want to fill up the pagecache with garbage in the
first place? When closing a file descriptor, it is already too
late -- the one time only giant pile of data has already caused
the kernel to wastefully flush useful things out of cache...

-Erik

--
Erik B. Andersen http://codepoet-consulting.com/