SubjectRe: [2.4 PATCH] bugfix: ARP respond on all devices
On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 22:31:18 -0700
"David S. Miller" <davem@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 00:48:49 +0200
> Willy Tarreau <willy@w.ods.org> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Aug 17, 2003 at 06:24:06PM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> >
> > > So stick the address on eth0 not on lo since its not a loopback but an
> > > eth0 address, then use arpfilter so you don't arp for the invalid magic
> > > shared IP address, or NAT it, or it may work to do
> > >
> > > ip route add nexthop-addr src my-virtual-addr dev eth0 scope
> > > local onlink ip route add default src my-virtual-addr via
> > > nexthop-addr dev eth0 scope global
> >
> > I have a case where this doesn't work
>
> Replying again... Alan does mention in the paragraph you've quoted
> to use arpfilter, which works for every case imaginable.
>
> The facilities to solve these problems are there, people simply
> don't want to use them.

It would be probably a good thing if anybody ever found a _positive_ scenario
where your view of the arp-world has _advantages_ compared to what the vast
majority of people I ever talked to sees as _expected_ behaviour...
(Please don't argue that my "vast majority" is not necessarily _the_ vast
majority, because that is true for merely every human being on this planet and
beyond)
I mean everybody is willing to follow you if you could say: "look at these type
of wide-spread operations and notice the positive (config shortening or
whatever) influence of the current default behaviour."
Can you please give us a striking example of a widespread application where
current behaviour is a requirement or at least a very positive thing?

Regards,
Stephan

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:47    [W:0.223 / U:0.516 seconds]