    SubjectRe: nforce2 lockups
    > This is a hunch: is it possible that gcc is compiling something a bit wrong?
    > I know that some instructions when processed in a certain order, can do some
    > wacky things. Maybe a gcc bug is causing the Athlon processor to caculate
    > some instructions in the right sequence where it sometimes works, and other
    > times doesn't.
    >
    > The reason I say this, is that I have read a few posts where one person had
    > lock-ups with one distro and not the other. Kernels are pretty much the same
    > (I think we are all downloading the latest kernel source and building our own
    > kernels), but gcc is different.

    I realized that when I recompiled kernel from 2.4.21 to 2.6.0 it could
    still be crashed on-demand. But when I replaced the 2.4.21 back it wouldn't
    crash. But in meantime, when I replaced the IDE disk for another with the
    same kernel, the crash could still be done on-demand.

    I tried to copy the swap (disk map: 1G swap @ the beginning, ext2 the rest)
    from the crashdisk to noncrashdisk verbatim if it's not dependent on the
    content read (the crash was within first 10 seconds, with 40MB/s it's less than
    400M from the beginning of the disk) and it didn't help. It seems it is highly
    dependent on a sequence of some highly irrelevant operations during the startup
    of the kernel.

    > Haven't tried it yet, since I am working a project 24/7 that will keep me
    > until the end of the month. Purchased the Athlon XP Gentoo 1.4 CDs, so will
    > load then and may get some different results.
    >
    > Ken

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:47    [W:0.020 / U:0.288 seconds]