    SubjectRE: Dumb question: Why are exceptions such as SIGSEGV not logged
    Date

    > And why not just catch the ones sent from the kernel? That's the one that
    > is killing the program because it crashed, and that's the one the
    > origional
    > poster wants logged...

    Because sometimes a program wants to terminate. And it is perfectly legal
    for a programmer who needs to terminate his program as quickly as possible
    to do this:

    char *j=NULL;
    signal(SIGSEGV, SIG_DFL);
    *j++;

    This is a perfectly sensible thing for a program to do with well-defined
    semantics. If a program wants to create a child every minute like this and
    kill it, that's perfectly fine. We should be able to do that in the default
    configuration without a sysadmin complaining that we're DoSing his syslogs.

    DS

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:47    [W:0.021 / U:31.272 seconds]