SubjectRE: Dumb question: Why are exceptions such as SIGSEGV not logged

> And why not just catch the ones sent from the kernel? That's the one that
> is killing the program because it crashed, and that's the one the
> origional
> poster wants logged...

Because sometimes a program wants to terminate. And it is perfectly legal
for a programmer who needs to terminate his program as quickly as possible
to do this:

char *j=NULL;

This is a perfectly sensible thing for a program to do with well-defined
semantics. If a program wants to create a child every minute like this and
kill it, that's perfectly fine. We should be able to do that in the default
configuration without a sysadmin complaining that we're DoSing his syslogs.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:47    [W:0.088 / U:4.304 seconds]