    SubjectRe: [2.4 PATCH] bugfix: ARP respond on all devices
    > Proxy ARP only.
    > > A.3. ARP datagram
    > >
    > > An ARP reply is discarded if the destination IP address does not
    > > match the local host address.
    > Linux counts all the IP addresses it has as being local host address.
    > And Linux btw has arpfilter which can do far more than just imitate your
    > favourite network religion of the week

    I think the whole mess comes from the ambigious use of the word host in RFC
    826, and several possible interpretations. It can mean both ethernet host
    (i.e. a NIC) or internet host (i.e. the whole server). This isn't clear from
    the RFC. In fact, the meanings are mixed. It's not a good RFC.

    The linux way is a perfectly legal, if somewhat awkward, way to interpret
    the RFC. Me too, I'd like a device respond only to ARP requests that are
    meant for an IP bound to it, but please, let's not turn this into a holy

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:47    [W:0.020 / U:108.376 seconds]