    SubjectRe: Ingo Molnar and Con Kolivas 2.6 scheduler patches
    On Thursday 14 August 2003 04:01, George Anzinger wrote:

    > >>Well said :)
    > >
    > > Actually, I didn't really consider that list of straw man arguments to be
    > > worth commenting on the first time around. (I thought he was being
    > > sarcastic...)
    > Well, I think he was too, but I am trying to say (as I think you are
    > too) that it is not far from being a realistic goal.

    2.5 already seems to be scheduling better for me, although I'm still mostly
    running 2.4 on my new laptop until I figure out how to properly configure all
    the new hardware. (APM suspends, and then never comes back until you yank
    the #*%(&# battery. Great. Trying it with the real mode bios calls next

    > As to timing, I just changed ISPs and was off line for a few days...

    I got caught in a downpour with my laptop in my backpack, and didn't realise
    the water resistant coating on my backpack had worn away until I turned the
    thing on and the display shorted out. After two days of drying out, the
    display was still screwed up, so I just bought a used thinkpad (iseries 1300,
    quite a nice little machine) and swapped the hard drive and some ram from my
    old toshiba. (Kudzu actually did something useful for once. :)

    I think I've figured out why X is giving me an 800x600 window on a 1024x768
    display screen (with a big black border). Why XFree86 freezes the box solid
    for ten seconds at a time while KDE is probing the hardware devices, that I
    don't know. (Google suggests the USB is funky. I'll see if 2.5 fixes it,
    all I know of 2.5 on this box is that it booted to text mode and then shut
    down again ok...)

    I'm likely to be a bit distracted for a while yet, not counting catching up,
    being out of town for a weekend, and of course the fall semester starting in
    two weeks. Luckily, they make caffeine for just such occasions...

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:47    [W:0.022 / U:4.396 seconds]