    SubjectRe: Centrino support
    Date
    > > > Got a list of supported good working cards?
    > >
    > > There's a Dell TrueMobile card that uses the Orinoco chipset. If you're
    > > feeling like life is too boring, there are cards based on the newer
    > > Intersil dual 802.11b/g chipsets available, too, and though I haven't
    > > checked into the shape of the drivers, I know they're under active
    > > development.
    >
    > The Dell TrueMobile 1150 series are Agere/Orinoco/Hermes based (MiniPCI
    > and PC-Card available). All other Dell TrueMobile cards are Broadcom
    > based and have no Linux driver support either.
    >
    > There are also MiniPCI, PC-Card, USB adapters with 802.11a/b/g and Linux
    > drivers available: http://sf.net/projects/madwifi

    That driver contains a binary-only part.

    <quote>
    The ath_hal module contains the Atheros Hardware Access Layer (HAL).
    This code manages much of the chip-specific operation of the driver.
    The HAL is provided in a binary-only form in order to comply with FCC
    regulations. In particular, a radio transmitter can only be operated at
    power levels and on frequency channels for which it is approved. The FCC
    requires that a software-defined radio cannot be configured by a user
    to operate outside the approved power levels and frequency channels.
    This makes it difficult to open-source code that enforces limits on
    the power levels, frequency channels and other parameters of the radio
    transmitter. See

    http://ftp.fcc.gov/Bureaus/Engineering_Technology/Orders/2001/fcc01264.pdf

    for the specific FCC regulation. Because the module is provided in a
    binary-only form it is marked "Proprietary"; this means when you load
    it you will see messages that your system is now "tainted".
    </quote>

    US was a free country. It gets worse by the day.
    --
    vda