    SubjectRe: C99 Initialisers
    Matthew Wilcox wrote:
    > On Wed, Aug 13, 2003 at 03:44:44PM -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:
    >
    >>enums are easy putting direct references would be annoying, but I also
    >>argue it's potentially broken and wrong to store and export that
    >>information publicly anyway. The use of enums instead of pointers is
    >>practically required because there is a many-to-one relationship of ids
    >>to board information structs.
    >

    > The hard part is that it's actually many-to-many. The same card can have
    > multiple drivers. one driver can support many cards.

    pci_device_tables are (and must be) at per-driver granularity. Sure the
    same card can have multiple drivers, but that doesn't really matter in
    this context, simply because I/we cannot break that per-driver
    granularity. Any solution must maintain per-driver granularity.

    > Let me give you a true story that your solution needs to address.
    > I recently got myself a Compaq Evo with an eepro100 onboard. So I took
    > my Debian 3.0 CD and tried to install on it. Failed because the eepro
    > on the board had PCI IDs that were more recent than the driver.
    >
    > So I took the driver module, put it on a floppy, hand-edited the binary
    > to replace one of the PCI IDs with the ones that came back from lspci.
    > Stuck the floppy back in the Evo, loaded the hacked module and finished
    > the install. Then compiled a new kernel ;-)
    >
    > I haven't seen anything to address this in a nicer way yet.

    Well, the step I wish to take - moving the ids from location X to
    location Y, would have no effect on that scenario, positive or negative.

    Jeff

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:47    [W:4.087 / U:0.068 seconds]