    Subject2.6.0-test2-mm1, ext3 (external journal): nasty filesystem corruption under high load

    Admittedly I was being pathological, but I've got a new toy to play with!
    Our new server is a dual-Athlon, 1.5G RAM (the other .5 failed memtest) +
    about 6GB swap, with 15x70GB drives running under gdth.o with 12 as the
    RAID-5 set, and the journal on 2 as a RAID-1 pair. System on IDE for now.

    It's currently running Red Hat "severn" + 2.6.0-test2-mm1 (with PREEMPT
    for now), and this particular stress test was attempting to build
    2.6.0-test3-mm1 with the scary invocation "make -j". More info on request.

    I saw thousands of messages like:
    cc1: page allocation failure. order:0, mode:0x20
    (where only the process names might change). I don't know how Bad this is.

    Amazingly I could still ssh in to the box and discover that its load had
    more than likely broken 1000. However, the compile started to complain
    bitterly about non-ASCII characters in source files, and indeed corruption
    did occur (random overwriting, it would appear).

    I have a couple more weeks I can play with this box before it has to go
    into production (running much older brains), and can do more tests if
    anyone thinks it might be useful.

    I would like to suggest the "make -j" test for those developers with
    enough memory (and fast enough swap).

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:47    [W:0.019 / U:19.712 seconds]