    SubjectRe: [patch] SCHED_SOFTRR starve-free linux scheduling policy ...
    At 01:41 AM 8/10/2003 +0100, Daniel Phillips wrote:
    >On Saturday 09 August 2003 18:47, Mike Galbraith wrote:
    > > > But the patch has a much bigger problem: there is no way a SOFTRR
    > task can
    > > > be realtime as long as higher priority non-realtime tasks can preempt it.
    > > > The new dynamic priority adjustment makes it certain that we will
    > > > regularly see normal tasks with priority elevated above so-called
    > > > realtime tasks. Even without dynamic priority adjustment, any higher
    > > > priority system task can unwttingly make a mockery of realtime schedules.
    > >
    > > Not so.
    >Yes so. A SCHED_NORMAL task with priority n can execute even when a
    >SCHED_FIFO/RR/SOFTRR task of priority n-1 is ready. In the case of FIFO and
    >RR we don't care because they're already unusable by normal users but in the
    >case of SOFTRR it defeats the intended realtime gaurantee.

    No, _not_ so. How is the SCHED_NORMAL (didn't that used to be called
    SCHED_OTHER?) task ever going to receive the cpu when a realtime task is
    runnable given that 1. task selection is done via sched_find_first_bit(),
    and 2. realtime queues reside at the top of the array?

    > > Dynamic priority adjustment will not put a SCHED_OTHER task above
    > > SCHED_RR, SCHED_FIFO or SCHED_SOFTRR, so they won't preempt.
    >Are you sure? I suppose that depends on the particular flavor of dynamic
    >priority adjustment. The last I saw, dynamic priority can adjust the task
    >priority by 5 up or down. If I'm wrong, please show me why and hopefully
    >point at specific code.

    See the definition of rt_task() in sched.c, and the comments in sched.h
    beginning at line 266.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:47    [W:0.020 / U:10.004 seconds]