    SubjectRe: ->direct_IO API change in current 2.4 BK

    On Wed, 9 Jul 2003, Andreas Dilger wrote:

    > On Jul 09, 2003 13:31 +0100, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
    > > I just got a nice XFS oops due to the direct_IO API change in
    > > 2.4. Guys, this is a STABLE series and APIs are supposed to be exactly
    > > that, _STABLE_. If you really think O_DIRECT on NFS is soo important
    > > please add a ->direct_IO2 for NFS like the reiserfs read_inode2 hack.
    > I would have to agree with that sentiment - we shouldn't change the
    > API in an "almost compatible" way, although I would have hoped that
    > compile warnings and/or module symbol versioning would have avoided
    > a crash.
    > > But what's the use of it anyway? AFAIK it's mostly for whoracle setups
    > > that have their data on netapps but that needs a certified vendor kernel
    > > not mainline..
    > Actually, it is useful for Lustre to do this, because it allows us to have
    > a file handle (which, naturally, holds per-file data) at the time the IO is
    > sent over the wire, instead of the "anonymous" writes that happen now.
    > This helps us with readahead on the server and other minor improvements.

    Fine, I agree. Trond, I'll have to revert your direct IO patches because
    they break the _stable_ API, indeed.

    Please come up with another solution for the problem (->direct_IO2 ? its
    ugly, but...).

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:46    [W:0.022 / U:5.836 seconds]