    SubjectRe: Debugging , Tracing...
    On Sun, 6 Jul 2003, Auge Mike wrote:

    > Hi all,
    > I have asked before few weeks about tracing the execution of the
    > kernel or debugging it. Unfortunately, I faced some problems in using Kgdb,
    > especially that the patch was not successful on my redhat 7.3.
    > Whatever, lets say that kgdb worked successfully, how can I trace the
    > execution of “a specific system call” (lets say printf), so I can see how it
    > works internally. Is there any other utility for that? How can I do that
    > with kgdb?
    > Thanx for your help in advance.
    > Yours,

    printf() is not a system call. It is some procedure within the
    'C' runtime library. Eventually, that library makes a call to
    write() which is a kernel system call. You can use strace to see
    the execution of all the system calls.

    If you want to single-step through the 'C' runtime library, you
    need to get their sources and compile them with the '-g' parameter
    (for debugging). I don't know why you would want to do that, because
    you would then have the sources so you can actually read the source
    of what happens with a particular call.

    Dick Johnson
    Penguin : Linux version 2.4.20 on an i686 machine (797.90 BogoMips).

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:46    [W:0.019 / U:6.540 seconds]