    SubjectRe: FAT statfs loop abort on read-error
    "Randy.Dunlap" <rddunlap@osdl.org> writes:

    > On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 13:57:19 +0200 Sancho Dauskardt <sda@bdit.de> wrote:
    > | when calling statfs on a volume that has been removed (without umount)
    > | fat_statfs() will attempt to read all sectors of the fat table quite a few
    > | times (depending on the fat type, eg. FAT16 --> 256 times).

    Yes, fat driver of 2.4 ignore the many errors.

    > | Possible solution:
    > | 1. let default_fat_access return something like -2 on 'can't read' error.
    > | 2. Abort stafs loop on error.
    > | 3. return -EIO
    > |
    > | This would break mode fat_access calls. I could make a patch, but I don't
    > | know what's going on with those cvf extensions (which seem to replace
    > | fat_access). Is dmsdos dead / can we ignore it ?
    > | Somewhere in the list archives, I found comments about the cvf stuff being
    > | completely removed ?

    I don't know anybody ported dmsdos to 2.4. The cvf stuff was removed
    and many error handlings was fixed on 2.5.x. So, personally I think to
    remove the cvf stuff and backport the some parts of fat driver to 2.4
    is good.

    > (I asked him to add a patch to MAINTAINTERS...)

    Thank you. But honestly, I may not have skill enough.
    --
    OGAWA Hirofumi <hirofumi@mail.parknet.co.jp>