    SubjectRe: kobjects, sysfs and the driver model make my head hurt
    Greg KH wrote:
    >>(a) kobj = kobject_get(kobj);
    > This is the way to call kobject_get(), as the object we get after the
    > function returns is the one we can then safely use.
    > Think of it as, "now we can use this kobject, not the one before calling
    > kobject_get()".

    Doesn't matter. There is still absolutely no reason for the additional
    pointer storage. I agree with with you "Thinks of it as", but also add
    my own: think of it as a spinlock function. It doesn't return any
    value, but you can't touch the locked object(s) before you call the

    The alloc functions return pointers. The _get functions never need to,
    because logically there should always we at least one ref when we are
    calling _get. (unless we want _get to notice an OBJ_FREEING flag and
    fail, that is...)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:46    [W:0.036 / U:0.044 seconds]