SubjectRe: C99 types VS Linus types
Bernardo Innocenti wrote:
> Hello,
hi,

> Since C99, the C language has acquired a standard set of machine
> independent types that can be used for machine independent
> fixed-width declarations.
>
> Getting rid of all non-ISO types from kernel code could be a
> desiderable long-term goal. Besides the inexplicable goodness
> of standards compliance, my favourite argument is that not
> depending on custom definitions makes copying code from/to
> other projects a little easier.

alpha user space .h define uint64_t as unsigned long,
include/asm-alpha/types.h defines it as unsigned long long.
Using a different definition (if it's possible) will be
confusing. Using the same definition as user space means
than code like:

uint64 t u;
printk("%lu", u);

will not compile on alpha. This problem is solved in C99
by using PRI_xxx format specifier macro, I'm not a great
fan of this idea.

> Ok, "int32_t" is a little more typing than "s32_t", but in
> exchange you get it syntax hilighted in vim like built-in
> types ;-)

surely vim allow to define your own set of type ?

regards,
Philippe Elie

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:46    [W:0.037 / U:0.516 seconds]