    SubjectRe: 2.5.74-mm1
    El Sat, 5 Jul 2003 23:09:12 +0200 Daniel Phillips <phillips@arcor.de>
    escribió:

    > The "better" mechanism for sound scheduling is SCHED_RR, which requires
    > root privilege for some reason that isn't clear to me. Or maybe there
    > once was a good reason, back in the days of the dinosaurs.

    I don't think mp3 playing needs nothing special.

    Mp3 decoding on today's computers taks insignificant amounts of cpu time.
    Having mp3 skips even in light loads in a 2x800 box seems just
    unacceptable.
    If you allow users using SCHED_RR, every app will end using it.
    But you can renice all other apps at +5.

    Scheduler's behaviour has been much better in the past, i don't
    think it requires anything special, just fixing the bug.

    But if you want to hear mp3 under crazy loads; perhaps you'd want to use
    the SCHED_RR part.
    Personally I'd like to be able to hear mp3 always, no matter if there's a
    heavy load in the machine. Mp3 playing is _important_ for me, i don't care
    about the rest :) (xmms supports realtime, but you need root)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:46    [W:0.021 / U:29.680 seconds]