    SubjectRe: Status of the IO scheduler fixes for 2.4
    On Fri, Jul 04, 2003 at 05:37:35PM -0400, Chris Mason wrote:
    > I've also attached a patch I've been working on to solve the latencies a
    > different way. bdflush-progress.diff changes balance_dirty to wait on
    > bdflush instead of trying to start io. It helps a lot here (both
    > throughput and latency) but hasn't yet been tested on a box with tons of
    > drives.

    that's orthogonal, it changes the write throttling, it doesn't touch the
    blkdev layer like the other patches does. So if it helps it solves a
    different kind of latencies.

    However the implementation in theory can run the box oom, since it won't
    limit the dirty buffers anymore. To be safe you need to wait 2
    generations. I doubt in practice it would be easily reproducible though ;).

    Andrea

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:46    [W:0.018 / U:0.084 seconds]