[lkml]   [2003]   [Jul]   [31]   [last100]   RSS Feed
    Patch in this message
    SubjectRe: PATCH: Race in 2.6.0-test2 timer code
    On Thu, Jul 31, 2003 at 01:56:07AM +0200, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
    > On Wed, Jul 30, 2003 at 06:43:18PM -0500, wrote:
    > > On Thu, Jul 31, 2003 at 12:17:17AM +0200, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
    > > > So the best fix would be to nuke the run_all_timers thing from 2.4 too.
    > > And so either of Andrea's fixes should fix this race.
    > exactly. If you want to nuke the run_all_timers from the 2.4 backport
    > feel free, then we could drop the additional locking from
    > add_timer/del_timer* and leave it only in mod_timer like 2.6 does, that
    > will avoid cacheline bouncing in the small window when the local timer
    > irq run on top of an irq handler. In the meantime the kernel is already
    > solid (again ;).

OK, I looked at removing run_all_timers, it doesn't seem too hard.

I would need to:
    -- add TIMER_SOFTIRQ to interrupts.h,
    -- add open_softirq (run_timer_softirq) to timer.c init_timer()
    -- move guts of run_local_timers() to run_timer_softirq()
    -- remove bh locks in above, not yet sure about other locks
    -- remove TIMER_BH everywhere. Or rather, remove it for those
    arches that support cpu-local timer interupts (curently x86 & freinds,
    soon hopefully ppc64, I attach it below, in case other arches want to
    play with this).

Is that right?
    Should I do this patch or will people loose interest in it?
    Who should I send it to? Who wants to review it?

> BTW, it's reassuring it wasn't lack of 2.6 stress testing, I apologize
    > for claiming that.

Me too, sorry for making noise before figuring it all out. But then,
    I remember asking a college physics professor for a recommendation,
    and he didn't know me well. "You sat in the back of the class and
    didn't ask any questions, unlike so-n-so, (the #1 student in the class)
    who sat in front and asked a lot of questions." I told him that that was
    because I knew the answers to all of the questions that were being asked.
    (I was trying to distance myself from the stupid people up front).
    He wasn't impressed by my reply, I hurt pretty bad.

Re the per-cpu, local timer patch, unless I'm badly mistaken, its pretty
    trivial, right:?

Index: kernel/timer.c
    RCS file: /home/linas/cvsroot/linux24/kernel/timer.c,v
    retrieving revision
    diff -u -p -u -r1. timer.c
    --- kernel/timer.c 15 Jul 2003 18:43:52 -0000
    +++ kernel/timer.c 31 Jul 2003 15:30:26 -0000
    @@ -764,7 +764,7 @@ void do_timer(struct pt_regs *regs)
    /* SMP process accounting uses the local APIC timer */

-#if defined(CONFIG_X86) || defined(CONFIG_IA64) /* x86-64 is also included by CONFIG_X86 */
    +#if defined(CONFIG_X86) || defined(CONFIG_IA64) || defined(CONFIG_PPC64) /* x86-64 is also included by CONFIG_X86 */
    @@ -772,7 +772,7 @@ void do_timer(struct pt_regs *regs)
    * Right now only x86-SMP calls run_local_timers() from a
    * per-CPU interrupt.
    -#if !defined(CONFIG_X86) && !defined(CONFIG_IA64) /* x86-64 is also included by CONFIG_X86 */
    +#if !defined(CONFIG_X86) && !defined(CONFIG_IA64) && !defined(CONFIG_PPC64) /*
    x86-64 is also included by CONFIG_X86 */
    Index: arch/ppc64/kernel/smp.c
    RCS file: /home/linas/cvsroot/linux24/arch/ppc64/kernel/smp.c,v
    retrieving revision
    diff -u -p -u -r1.2.4.1 smp.c
    --- arch/ppc64/kernel/smp.c 15 Jul 2003 18:41:56 -0000
    +++ arch/ppc64/kernel/smp.c 31 Jul 2003 15:21:35 -0000
    @@ -398,6 +398,8 @@ void smp_local_timer_interrupt(struct pt
    + run_local_timers();

void smp_message_recv(int msg, struct pt_regs *regs)

the body of a message to
    More majordomo info at