    SubjectRe: fun or real: proc interface for module handling?
    On Thu, Jul 31, 2003 at 02:34:01PM +0200, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
    > > Modul options could be passed my
    > > echo "psmouse_noext=1" > /proc/mods/psmouse/options
    > > which would also make it possible to change module options while running..
    > How would options be passed when loading? Some modules require that
    > to load properly. Also, there are lots of options that can't be
    > changed after loading. To enable this, I believe the whole option
    > handling would need to be modified substantially. Instead of just
    > storing the values in static variables, there would have to be some
    > means of telling the module that its options changed. Then there's
    > the task of hacking all modules to support this...

    Interesting :)

    Maybe, it should cause no action to "mkdir /proc/mods/ipv6", nor echo
    "psmouse_noext=1" > /proc/mods/psmouse/options
    _just_ "collecting" parameters by kernel, then eg creating a file
    /proc/mods/ipv6/load should cause to load the module. Of course there can be
    code to handle "on-the-fly" parameter change, but maybe this can be
    considered as optimal, and it should be not a must a module to support this

    - Gábor (larta'H)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:47    [W:0.019 / U:10.676 seconds]