    SubjectRe: Does sysfs really provides persistent hardware path to devices?
    Date
    On Saturday 26 July 2003 20:50, Greg KH wrote:
    > On Sat, Jul 26, 2003 at 08:36:13PM +0400, Andrey Borzenkov wrote:
    > > So apparently I cannot rely on sysfs to get reliable persistent
    > > information about physical location of devices.
    >
    > That is correct, but you can get pretty close :)

    sure, I know. The more annoying is how difficult is to step over this "close"
    :)

    > > the point is - I want to create aliases that would point to specific
    > > slots. I.e. when I plug USB memory stick in upper slot on front panel I'd
    > > like to always create the same device alias for it.
    >
    > Look at the udev announcement I posted to linux-kernel yesterday to see
    > how to do this.

    I know udev.

    udev does not answer my question. It operates on logical device (bus) numbers.
    My question was how to name devices based on physical position
    *independently* of logical numbers they get.

    It is not strictly speaking udev fault but simply result of kernel exporting
    logical device names instead of true physical paths. I miss Solaris /devices
    filesystem ...

    OK I may mot see something obvious. Simple example.

    I have SCSI HBA sitting in PCI slot 3. It gets SCSI host number 1. I configure
    udev to name SCSI device 1.0.0.1 "database"

    I add one more SCSI HBA in PCI slot 1. Next time system is booted *this* gets
    SCSI host number 1 and my first HBA in slot 3 gets SCSI host 2. Oops.

    Question: how to configure udev so that "database" always refers to LUN 0 on
    target 0 on bus 0 on HBA in PCI slot 1.

    > thanks,

    I thank you

    -andrey

    PS this obviously applies not only to SCSI. It is just it is most simple
    example and you do not open network interfaces by name so there is *no* way
    at all to assign their numbers :(

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:47    [W:0.025 / U:0.320 seconds]