    SubjectRe: OT: Vanilla not for embedded?! Re: Kernel 2.6 size increase - get_current()?
    Mike Fedyk wrote:
    > Vanilla will be what people put into it. And I have seen more messages from
    > embedded people complaining, than actually doing and submitting patches for
    > merging.
    > So the embedded trees are a deep fork huh? Did you or anyone else do
    > anything to merge during 2.5?!
    > And now you see why there is a "deep" fork...

    Real-time stuff is a must - something like RTAI.
    Things like Linux Trace Toolkit - soone or later you have to start
    using them to tune performace.
    Patches to remove mandatory (for 2.2/2.0) PCI/IDE support were pretty
    common too.
    Patch to shrink network hashes - norm of life.
    Patch to kill PCI names database.
    And this is only things I was using personally (and I remember about)
    in my short 4 years carrier.

    CONFIG_TINY - - got something like
    this merged? - so I'm the first guy in the download queue on!

    Kernel heavily tuned for servers and workstations (read - modern PCs).

    At my previous position company was using kernel prepared by Karim
    Yaghmour and right now we using kernels from MontaVista.
    Far from vanillas.

    > embedded people complaining

    Sure complaining.
    For some reasons all "improvements" to kernel had lead to increase of
    kernel size, not decrease. Strange, isn't it?

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:47    [W:0.020 / U:7.752 seconds]