SubjectRe: Does sysfs really provides persistent hardware path to devices?
On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 20:36:13 +0400 Andrey Borzenkov <arvidjaar@mail.ru> wrote:

| As far as I can tell sysfs device names include logical bus numbers which
| means, if hardware is added or removed it is possible names do change.
|
| Example:
|
| /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1f.4/usb2/2-2/2-2.1/2-2.1:0/host1/1:0:0:0
|
| PCI part reflects bus number. Now this example is trivial in that it is
| integrated USB controller so it is unlikely to ever change its number - but
| if it were external controller (and even worse with PCI-to-PCI bridge) it is
| likely that adding extra card would shift all numbers.
|
| And USB part of name starts with logical USB bus number i.e. it is obvious
| that adding one more USB adapter will definitely change it.
|
| So apparently I cannot rely on sysfs to get reliable persistent information
| about physical location of devices.
|
| the point is - I want to create aliases that would point to specific slots.
| I.e. when I plug USB memory stick in upper slot on front panel I'd like to
| always create the same device alias for it.

You'll probably get a barrage of replies...

You want udev + namedev, userspace naming policy. See the recent
udev announcements from Greg Kroah-Hartman.

udev/namedev use sysfs device tree info to apply device naming policy.

From Greg's version 0.2 announcement:
<quotes>
kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kernel/hotplug/udev-0.2.tar.gz

There's a BitKeeper tree of the latest stuff available at:
bk://kernel.bkbits.net/gregkh/udev/

I've also placed the slides from my OLS talk up at:
http://www.kroah.com/linux/talks/ols_2003_udev_talk/

The paper which attempts to explain the background of udev, what it
does, and where it is going is at:
http://archive.linuxsymposium.org/ols2003/Proceedings/All-Reprints/Reprint-Kroah-Hartman-OLS2003.pdf
</selected quotes>

There's more in the announcment email. This is still early code,
so there's much more to be done on it, but the demo yesterday looked
very good.

--
~Randy
| http://developer.osdl.org/rddunlap/ | http://www.xenotime.net/linux/ |