    SubjectRe: directory inclusion in ext2/ext3
    On Thu, Jul 24, 2003 at 05:48:34AM +0200, Johannes Halmann wrote:
    > On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 03:00:17 +0200 Mike Fedyk wrote:
    > >> my idea of solving this is to have
    > >> an inclusion directive in directory-files...
    > >>
    > >> has nobody ever felt the lack of such functionality??
    >
    > > What exactly does this help you to do?
    > > What do you want to accomplish?
    >
    > hmm, i have a lot of huge files on different hard drives and wish to access
    > them in a uniform fashion. i would like to sort ALL files in subdirectories
    > but have no need for an LVM, RAID or similar. for example:
    >
    > /mnt/drive1/category1
    > /mnt/drive1/category2
    > /mnt/drive2/category1
    > /mnt/drive2/category2
    >
    > (the data is so huge, that it is not possible to always merge categories on a
    > single disk!)
    > what i would like to do now is to be able to display all files of "cat1" and
    > "cat2" respectively in "/mnt/union/category1" and "/mnt/union/category2". yet
    > i don't wish to simply link the directories as this would complicate access
    > with growing number of hard drives the data is spread on!
    >
    > it's a bit weird to explain, i hope it's understandable now :-)))

    Yes, I understand a little better.

    But it just looks more like a good use for LVM than before.

    You don't want the redundancy of raid, and are always adding space, so LVM
    should be perfect for you.

    Just use a nice filesystem that resizes easily, (or even online (while
    mounted, etc)), and you're set.

    Mike

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:47    [W:0.035 / U:0.396 seconds]