    SubjectRe: devfsd/2.6.0-test1
    Date
    In article <1058718448.19817.5.camel@nosferatu.lan>,
    Martin Schlemmer <azarah@gentoo.org> wrote:

    | --=-7Lt6k6a+JkixQBaZzKBJ
    |
    | On Fri, 2003-07-18 at 00:39, Bill Davidsen wrote:
    | > On 17 Jul 2003, Martin Schlemmer wrote:
    | >=20
    | > > On Thu, 2003-07-17 at 11:17, Mark Watts wrote:
    | >=20
    | nel)
    | vfs.
    | > >=20
    | > > The module-init-tools tarball should include one.
    | >=20
    | > Agreed, it should. However, the last version I pulled had zero support fo=
    | > probeall, and more importantly for probe, which is somewhat harder to do
    | > cleanly without having to rewrite the config file for each kernel you
    | > boot.
    | >=20
    |
    | Well, it implements probeall in another fashion. Also, you might
    | try /sbin/generate-modprobe.conf to convert a modules.conf to
    | modprobe.conf syntax.

    Doesn't seem to convert "probe" unless there's a *very* new version, it
    converted my eight line modules.conf including probe to 113 lines of
    code I need to edit before rebooting.

    The problem has been that certain drivers take turns working in the 2.5
    evolution, e100 and eepro for instance. So if I have e100 I want to load
    it, otherwise try eepro. That's what probe is all about, and I can boot
    one kernel or another, regardless of which driver works (or is compiled)
    in a given kernel.

    Seems like a giant step backward to drop useful functionality, but 2.4
    will be around for a long time.
    --
    bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
    CTO, TMR Associates, Inc