    SubjectRe: [ON TOPIC] HELP: Getting lousy memory throughput from Abit KD7
    On Tue, Jul 22, 2003 at 03:21:15PM -0400, Timothy Miller wrote:
    > This suggests to me that there is one of these possibilities which is
    > contributing to the poor performance under Linux:
    >
    > 1) Linux is not programming the KT400 chipset properly and is thus not
    > getting the throughput it could.

    Linux doesn't do any chipset specific tuning.

    > 2) SANDRA uses instructions (SSE, etc) which are able to access memory
    > more efficiently than whatever STREAM is using.

    very likely. its the only way to really saturate the bus.

    > 3) SANDRA inflates its scores to make people feel better.

    unlikely.

    > 4) Linux has not properly set up the CPU caches.

    Linux doesn't do anything with CPU caches.

    > What I want to know is this:
    > Am I getting realistic throughput for what STREAM does?

    I'm unfamiliar with STREAM, so cannot comment

    > What is SANDRA doing that lets it get such high scores when STREAM does not?

    Is this even an apples to apples comparison? If not, it's irrelevant.

    Dave

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:47    [W:0.021 / U:0.020 seconds]