SubjectRe: [ON TOPIC] HELP: Getting lousy memory throughput from Abit KD7
On Tue, Jul 22, 2003 at 03:21:15PM -0400, Timothy Miller wrote:
> This suggests to me that there is one of these possibilities which is
> contributing to the poor performance under Linux:
>
> 1) Linux is not programming the KT400 chipset properly and is thus not
> getting the throughput it could.

Linux doesn't do any chipset specific tuning.

> 2) SANDRA uses instructions (SSE, etc) which are able to access memory
> more efficiently than whatever STREAM is using.

very likely. its the only way to really saturate the bus.

> 3) SANDRA inflates its scores to make people feel better.

unlikely.

> 4) Linux has not properly set up the CPU caches.

Linux doesn't do anything with CPU caches.

> What I want to know is this:
> Am I getting realistic throughput for what STREAM does?

I'm unfamiliar with STREAM, so cannot comment

> What is SANDRA doing that lets it get such high scores when STREAM does not?

Is this even an apples to apples comparison? If not, it's irrelevant.

Dave