    Subject2.4.22-pre7: are security issues solved?
    Hi,

    Red Hat has released a new kernel today, that fixes several security issues.
    I currently use 2.4.22-pre7, are those security issues solved in this kernel
    too? Below are the descriptions from the errata:

    > CAN-2003-0461: /proc/tty/driver/serial reveals the exact character counts
    > for serial links. This could be used by a local attacker to infer password
    > lengths and inter-keystroke timings during password entry.

    > CAN-2003-0462: Paul Starzetz discovered a file read race condition existing
    > in the execve() system call, which could cause a local crash.

    > CAN-2003-0464: A recent change in the RPC code set the reuse flag on
    > newly-created sockets. Olaf Kirch noticed that his could allow normal
    > users to bind to UDP ports used for services such as nfsd.

    > CAN-2003-0476: The execve system call in Linux 2.4.x records the file
    > descriptor of the executable process in the file table of the calling
    > process, allowing local users to gain read access to restricted file
    > descriptors.

    > CAN-2003-0501: The /proc filesystem in Linux allows local users to obtain
    > sensitive information by opening various entries in /proc/self before
    > executing a setuid program. This causes the program to fail to change the
    > ownership and permissions of already opened entries.

    > CAN-2003-0550: The STP protocol is known to have no security, which could
    > allow attackers to alter the bridge topology. STP is now turned off by
    > default.

    > CAN-2003-0551: STP input processing was lax in its length checking, which
    > could lead to a denial of service.

    > CAN-2003-0552: Jerry Kreuscher discovered that the Forwarding table could
    > be spoofed by sending forged packets with bogus source addresses the same
    > as the local host.

    Have fun,

    Aschwin Marsman

    --
    aYniK Software Solutions all You need is Knowledge
    P.O. box 134 NL-7600 AC Almelo - the Netherlands