    SubjectRe: Bitkeeper
    On Sat, Jul 19, 2003 at 02:20:31AM -0600, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
    > Alan Cox <> writes:
    > > > I don't think Alan is using BK. I could be wrong though.
    > > I'm not - and with the snapshots neither I or anyone else is forced to.
    > For the linux kernel. The problem is the satellite projects which
    > adopt bitkeeper less carefully. Unless there is a general gateway I
    > have missed.

    They do not provide snapshots?

    As long as tar files are distributed for each minor release, there is no
    true 'lock in'. If you need a gateway for a specific satellite project,
    there are people that could probably hook you up with the software required,
    and if there are other people in your situation, one of them probably has
    enough CPU + network + disk resources to host it.

    The Bit Keeper issue is entirely a philosophical one. I understand
    that Linus chooses to use it, because it allows him to be more
    efficient. Alan Cox chooses not to use it (I'm not clear on his
    reasons, but I assume they are just as good). What more proof do we
    need that Bit Keeper is not locking people in?

    I don't use it, and have never used it at this point, primarily
    because I happen to be in the source management field currently, and I
    have chosen to respect Larry's license. I'm certain that if I ever had
    a proper need in terms of kernel development, the license could be
    waived or altered on a case-by-case basis.

    Stallman puts himself 100% in the philosopher's chair. He seems to believe
    that any variation or compromise weakens his overall position. Every few
    months he starts a flame war just to satisfy his own guilt that rises from
    him feeling that he isn't doing enough to 'promote' free projects, even if
    the free projects don't exist yet, or are not as feature-full.

    A few of us have a real love-hate relationship with Stallman. We love what he
    has accomplished. We hate how he accomplishes his goals.

    The bottom line of all of this, is that Stallman is preaching to the wrong
    people. He should stick to press releases and such. Kernel developers just
    want to get work done. Any investment into writing a new source management
    system would be better served by improving the linux source code. If this
    wasn't so, the kernel developers wouldn't be kernel developers. They would
    be like me... source management developers... :-)

    . . _ ._ . . .__ . . ._. .__ . . . .__ | Neighbourhood Coder

    and in the darkness bind them...

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:46    [W:0.028 / U:3.132 seconds]