    fredag 18. juli 2003, 23:06, skrev Jörn Engel:
    > On Fri, 18 July 2003 15:51:36 -0400, Richard Stallman wrote:
    > > I think it would be appropriate at this point to write a free client
    > > that talks with Bitkeeper, and for Linux developers to start switching
    > > to that from Bitkeeper. At that point, McVoy will face a hard choice:
    > > if he carries out these threats, he risks alienating the community
    > > that he hopes will market Bitkeeper for him.
    > I've told other people before and I'll tell you again:
    > Please, pretty please, leave linux-kernel for discussions about the
    > linux kernel and leave the bitkeeper flames for those that enjoy
    > electronic pyrotechnic.
    > Apart from that: Larry is right. Noone cared about crappy ol' cvs
    > until bk came alone and showed what everyone already knew. If you
    > didn't have to improve cvs back then, it is still as good as it was,
    > so thy improve it now? Pure jealousy?

    No, I think we'd improve CVS because bk came along and showed us what we
    already knew.

    Bitkeeper *is* better, but as long as the ideas those improvements are based
    on don't get patented there is no reason for us not to claim them for

    Summa summarum:
    Having a Free CVS is good.
    Having a useful BitKeeper is sometimes better.
    Having a Free CVS with all the features of BK would be best.

    - - Svein Ove Aas
    Version: GnuPG v1.2.2 (GNU/Linux)

    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:46    [W:0.022 / U:10.108 seconds]