SubjectRe: do_div64 generic
Date
On Wednesday 16 July 2003 02:07, george anzinger wrote:

> > It is only used in nanosleep(), and then only in the case where the sleep
> > terminated early.
> >
> > If someone is calling nanosleep() so frequently for this to matter, the
> > time spent in divide is the least of their problems. Unless you have
> > some real-worldish benchmarks to demonstrate otherwise?
>
> It is also used in the jiffies to timespec and jiffies to timeval code
> in timer.h, if memory serves.

It's true that it's being used in more places than Andrew initially thought,
but a quick scan for jiffies_to_timeval() and jiffies_to_timespec() indicates
that it's not being used in any place where performance matters too much.

I still consider do_div() a big kludge to workaround extremely poor code
generated by GCC. If we allow this, I see no reason for not allowing a very
similar kludge which provides even better performance.

I agree with Andrew that we've run out of time for breaking things again,
so I won't be suggesting to implement a whole new set of 64bit operations
and use them all over the kernel. However, the div_long_long_rem() function
has been _already_ in use on i386 for some time, therefore the safest fix
we can do at this point is adding generic support for all other archs.

> > You know what they say about premtur optmstns, and having to propagate
> > funky new divide primitives across N architectures is indeed evil.
>
> Hm. I only want the simple div. 64-bit/32-bit in two 32-bit results.
> Is this funky? And the "evil" #ifdef allows archs to not do it.

The div_long_long_rem() interface is even somewhat cleaner than do_div() and
can be implemented easily on architectures providing a 64/32 -> 32q/32r operation
(most 32bit processors do have it).

> > Bernardo, can you do the patch please?

I would be glad to do it once the discussion has settled, whatever
the final decision will be. Just don't make me do it twice, please ;-)

\X/ http://www.develer.com/

Please don't send Word attachments - http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html