    SubjectRe: Alan Shih: "TCP IP Offloading Interface"
    On Jul 14 2003, at 21:34, Alan Cox was caught saying:
    > You don't have to. You can go build and test and maintain a set of TOE patches.
    > Nobody is stopping you. Lots of Linux code exists because someone decided that
    > the official story was wrong and proved it so.

    I agree with your basic sentiment, but the issue here is that supporting
    TOE requires changes that are very intimate to the kernel. This is not
    like developing I2O which is an edge driver layer, but a core portion
    of the kernel. Some support from the community is going to be needed.
    Currently, any time someone mentions the idea of discussing a TOE
    interface, it's shot down as being evil and bad.

    /me thinks that the HW vendors that really want TOE support need
    to fund some Linux networking folks to go look at the problem
    in detail.

    Deepak Saxena
    MontaVista Software - Powering the Embedded Revolution -

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:46    [W:0.019 / U:4.852 seconds]