SubjectRe: PATCH: AC97 updates from 2.4
At 11 Jul 2003 22:57:58 +0100,
Alan Cox wrote:

> On Gwe, 2003-07-11 at 21:26, Liam Girdwood wrote:
> > I would eventually like to see something similar to this in ALSA.
> >
> > I wrote the touchscreen driver plugin and an ALSA AC97 plugin API will
> > probably be needed before this time next year to keep Linux up to date
> > in the PDA/Tablet/Portable space. Eventually we may need an I2S and/or
> > Azalia (next gen audio) API layer for such devices.
> >
> > I intend to speak to the ALSA guys as soon as the OSS plugin driver has
> > stabilised.
>
> It would be great if we can get the same plugin API for both, although that
> may be trickier since the mixer side is quite different

i'm afraid this, too. both use completely different ac97 structs.
although it's possible to define an API which works for both drivers,
it would be a minimal subset, just only to read/write ac97 registers.

is the touchscreen plugin already in the latest 2.4 tree?
then i'd like to take a look and try to implement a tentative plugin
API.

--
Takashi Iwai <tiwai@suse.de> SuSE Linux AG - www.suse.de
ALSA Developer ALSA Project - www.alsa-project.org