    SubjectRe: networking bugs and bugme.osdl.org
    David> On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 10:07:42 -0700
    David> Jan Rychter <jan@rychter.com> wrote:
    >> Interesting you should think you're 'rewarding' people. I thought
    >> your goal was to have fun working on cool software and making it
    >> better. I also thought I had the same goal as a bug-reporter.
    >>
    >> When I write software, I care about every bug report and consider
    >> people doing the reporting a very valuable resource.

    David> The whole game changes when you are stretched as thinly as I am.
    David> Scaling becomes everything, and nitpicking through vague and
    David> poorly composed bug reports is an absolute waste of my time as
    David> networking subsystem maintainer.
    [...]

    Couldn't agree more. Especially after having benefited from your code so
    much (starting back in the early sparc days...).

    David> Having me pillage through a bug database is a poor use of my
    David> time and capabilities. And all of my time is spent reviewing
    David> patches and dealing with the properly composed bug reports
    David> anyways, so even if I enjoyed pillaging through badly made bug
    David> reports I couldn't.

    David> People are assuming that just because _I_ don't want to work on
    David> the bad bug reports that I think nobody should. It's the exact
    David> opposite.
    [...]

    Thanks for this explanation -- I responded because I was worried you
    were convincing people that it's a good thing if bug reports get
    dropped, because the really important ones will float to the top anyway.

    --J.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:46    [W:0.021 / U:30.528 seconds]