    SubjectRe: [Swsusp-devel] Re: Thoughts wanted on merging Software Suspend enhancements

    > Dumb question applicable to 9x% of computers: how do you secure the suspend
    > switch and OFF switch, not to mention the power plug or the battery?
    > As to security many portables have a bios password and no other passwords
    > thereafter for the user account. The abort feature events could be enabled
    > via swsusp proc entry mainly for (desktop) security. Also, then you ought
    > to think about securing suspend events (don't swsusp the webserver
    > please)!

    Only root can write to /proc/acpi/sleep, so there's no problem.

    And having config variable just for escape during suspend is ugly.

    > In practice, when suspending, in many cases one would like to abort. Suspend
    > should be abortable by ESC and post 1.0: the lid switch and/or suspend switch.
    > If you think about it it makes sense to abort suspend instead of having
    > to wait 15-40 seconds and reenter the bios password and wait another 10-30
    > seconds. (assuming 2.4 speeds)
    > The way I would use S3/S4 is reboot only for a new kernel, and really use the
    > machine portably much more. S3 would be used for short suspends and S4 for
    > longer suspends.
    > In short, this is an _important_ feature _as_ much as S3 and S4.

    If you say that aborting with Esc is as important as having swsusp in
    the first place... that's not true.
    [Johanka's followup: and *two* hearts?]

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:46    [W:0.022 / U:0.908 seconds]