    SubjectRe: Thoughts wanted on merging Software Suspend enhancements

    > Don't ask me why I'm awake at 3am. I don't know.

    ;-). Its 5pm here...

    > > Well, you probably did want Linus to answer, but I see some new stuff
    > > here.
    > Yeah, I did. But it wasn't going to happen :>

    Well, Linus just tends to drop the mail. [Killed him from Cc].

    > > > - save a full image rather than freeing just about all the memory first
    > > > - highmem support
    > > > - image compression support
    > > > - swapfile support in progress
    > >
    > > This seems extremely hard to do right. If you can do it right and not
    > > rewrite half of kernel, that's okay, but I don't think you can do that.
    > I assume you mean swapfile only. The first two have been working for a
    > while now. For swapfile support, my approach is simple. I'll store the
    > info rw_swap_page_base calculates and save it in the pagedir, using it
    > to read back the data at resume without requiring any knowledge of the
    > filesystem. (Of course I'm assuming the data isn't compressed etc but
    > since swapfiles work, this seems to be a reasonable assumption; I can
    > always mirror changes in the swapfile code). I'll also take advantage of
    > the fact that much of the pagedir data we're storing is very easily
    > compressable itself to ensure that this doesn't result in severe bloat
    > of the pagedirs. I've already got a little patch to test it the theory,
    > and results look very encouraging but I won't try to explain it here.
    > I'll just confuse the issue.

    Okay, that's sane approach to do it... But where do you store pointer
    to pagedir?

    > > > - nice display
    > > > - user can abort at any time during suspend (oh, I forgot, I wanted
    > > > to...) by just pressing Escape
    > >
    > > That seems like missfeature. We don't want joe random user that is at
    > > the console to prevent suspend by just pressing Escape. Maybe magic
    > > key to do that would be acceptable...
    > Magic key? Do you mean a password? I suppose that could be a

    Documentation/sysrq.txt. Magic sysrq driver will answer some
    interesting questions like "how to press esc on the serial line", etc,
    and it is also /proc configurable.

    [Johanka's followup: and *two* hearts?]

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:46    [W:0.021 / U:10.332 seconds]