    SubjectRe: [patch] SCHED_SOFTRR linux scheduler policy ...
    From
    On Sat, Jul 12, 2003 at 08:59:18AM -0700, Davide Libenzi wrote:
    > On Sat, 12 Jul 2003, Jamie Lokier wrote:
    >
    > > Davide Libenzi wrote:
    > > > With the current patch you do not need any special support if you are
    > > > already asking for SCHED_RR policy. If you are not root you will be
    > > > automatically downgraded to SCHED_SOFTRR ;)
    > >
    > > Cool. What happens if you run two SCHED_SOFTRR tasks and they both
    > > use 50% of the CPU - will that starve all the other tasks? Or is the
    > > CPU usage of all SOFTRR tasks bounded collectively?
    >
    > Nope :) They will run their timeslice entirely and then they will try to
    > get some more. Looking at their last recharge timestamp, Dad scheduler
    > will put them in bed and will give other tasks a chance to run. But don't
    > worry, I am very sure there're other exploit available. I just didn't have
    > enough time to think about it. It is amazing how limited are things that
    > you can do in one hour :)

    Hey,

    Have any of you folks seen this ?

    http://research.microsoft.com/~mbj/papers/tr-99-59_abstract.html

    Neat stuff. This with a fully preemptive kernel is one of Linux kernel
    dreams for multimedia.

    bill

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:46    [W:0.019 / U:1.616 seconds]