    SubjectRe: [RFC] block layer support for DMA IOMMU bypass mode
    Grant Grundler wrote:

    > But I'm pretty sure james proposal will work for ia64 and parisc.

    The thing that's got me concerned about this is that it allows
    for sg lists that contains both entries that the block layer
    expects will be mapped into the iommu and ones that it expects
    to bypass. I don't like the implications of parsing through
    sg lists looking for bypass-able and non-bypass-able groupings.
    This seems like a lot more overhead than we have now and the
    complexity of merging partially bypass-able scatterlists seems
    time consuming.

    The current ia64 sba_iommu does a quick and dirty sg bypass
    check. If the device can dma to any memory address, the entire
    sg list is bypassed. If not, the entire list is coalesced and
    mapped by the iommu. The idea being that true performance
    devices will have 64bit dma masks and be able to quickly bypass.
    Everything else will at least get the benefit of coalescing
    entries to make more efficient dma. The coalescing is a bit
    simpler since it's the entire list as well. With this proposal,
    we'd have to add a lot of complexity to partially bypass sg
    lists. I don't necessarily see that as a benefit. Thanks,

    Alex

    --
    Alex Williamson HP Linux & Open Source Lab