SubjectRe: Linksys WRT54G and the GPL
On Llu, 2003-06-09 at 06:22, Frank Cusack wrote:
> > Finally, it would be strange if the source was included in the physical
> > package, as my contact at Linksys was initially unaware Linux was used
> > in this product.
>
> Note that including the source with the physical package is not enough
> to meet the GPL requirements. The source must be available to any third
> party, not just purchasers of the product.

Wrong. Its a common misconception. The GPL requires I make source
available to those I give the binaries, be it a box on a supermarket
shelf or a one of product for a client.

In fact the GPL has to do this because it is really import that the
author is not hit with the cost of third party distribution. What the
author cannot do is forbid that third party distribution.

In Linksys case dumping the required source on the end of the CD of
goodies that comes with the kit and including a notice would be
sufficient.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:36    [W:0.093 / U:0.472 seconds]