    SubjectRe: [patch] use valid value when unmapping cpus
    Matt Mackall wrote:
    > On Wed, Jun 04, 2003 at 02:26:22PM -0700, Matthew Dobson wrote:
    >>For some unknown reason, we stick a -1 in cpu_2_node when we unmap a cpu
    >>on i386. We're better off sticking a 0 in there, because at least 0 is
    >>a valid value if something references it. -1 is only going to cause
    >>problems at some point down the line.
    > Problems down the line help you find the bogus dereference. Even
    > better to stick a poison value in there.

    Well, it's not really a dereference issue. The function, cpu_to_node()
    just returns an integer which is the node that particular CPU is on.
    This should always return a valid value. This is used in many places,
    often as a direct index into an array, and we shouldn't have to check
    its return value everywhere. The default behavior is to just return 0,
    because 0 is a valid node, even for UP/SMP. The array of CPU -> node
    mappings is initialized to 0's on i386 already, so unmapping a CPU
    should return this mapping to its uninitialized state.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:36    [W:0.029 / U:15.328 seconds]