    SubjectRe: [dm-devel] Re: [RFC] device-mapper ioctl interface
    Date
    On Thursday 05 June 2003 12:00, Daniel Phillips wrote:
    > On Thursday 05 June 2003 18:47, Kevin Corry wrote:
    > > 2) Removing suspended devices. The current code (2.5.70) does not allow a
    > > suspended device to be removed/unlinked from the ioctl interface, since
    > > removing it would leave you with no way to resume it (and hence flush any
    > > pending I/Os). Alasdair mentioned a couple of new ideas. One would be to
    > > reload the device with an error-map and force it to resume, thus erroring
    > > any pending I/Os and allowing the device to be removed. This seems a bit
    > > heavy-handed.
    >
    > Which is the heavy-handed part?

    The part about automatically reloading the table with an error map and forcing
    it to resume. It just seemed to me that user-space ought to be able to gather
    enough information to determine that a device needed to be resumed before it
    could be removed. Thus the kernel driver wouldn't be forced to implement such
    a policy.

    Talking with Alasadair again, he mentioned a case I hadn't considered. Devices
    would now be created without a mapping and initially suspended. If some other
    error occurred, and you decided to just delete the device before loading a
    mapping, it would fail. And having to resume a device with no mapping just
    to be able to delete it definitely seems odd.

    So, it's not like I'm dead-set against this idea. I was just curious what the
    reasoning was behind this change.

    --
    Kevin Corry
    kevcorry@us.ibm.com