    SubjectRe: Strange load issues with 2.5.69/70 in both -mm and -bk trees.

    > >Yes, I thought the same thing, and I did just that, but no, it doesn't
    > >fix the latency issue. This system has very little running, I made sure
    > >that there were no sound servers such as esd or arts running, nothing.
    > >Basically, a plain KDE (with artsd disabled), mozilla, and Crossover
    > >wine plugin. Even though I couldn't see how it would affect anything I
    > >tried bumping up the priorities of other processes such as mozilla
    > >itself, X, etc. Nothing fixed the problem except for lowering the
    > >priority of the wine process.
    >
    > Feel like trying something else for grins? If it's thud.c type starvation
    > you're seeing, the attached club should beat it into submission.

    I gave this a try this morning and it still doesn't seem to solve my
    issue. I have no idea what is going on with this particular scenario.
    For now I've fixed it with a simple wrapper script that start up wine
    with a '15' nice level.

    I did do some playing, it seems the problem mostly goes away right
    around nice level 8, before that I seen no noticable difference, after
    that it seems completely gone. Would there be anything special about
    that range?

    I do have one, probably wildly incorrect theory. Most of the problems
    I'm seeing seem to revolve around issues when there is a fairly CPU and
    graphics intensive application running. In this case flash has lots of
    glitzy stuff happening, interactive menus popping up using lots of
    graphics and sound, etc., while in the meantime wine is using lots of
    CPU to keep these things all working. It almost seems that it's the
    combination of the two of them that leave too little time for sound to
    be played correctly.

    As a test of this idea I simply reniced the X server to 19 and the
    problem did get a LOT better, although it did not go completely away. I
    could make the problem go completely away with the X server niced at 19
    and wine niced at 5. With X at it's normal 0 nice level I had to renice
    wine to 8 before the problem was corrected.

    This seems to match up with the issue that some people have noted that
    their XMMS skips during virtual desktop switched, etc.

    I'm not sure if any of that helps anything really, or if there is really
    a "correct" fix for this, or even if this behavior would be considered
    broken.

    I've corrected it for now with some simple wrapper scripts to set nice
    levels on the offending processes. So far this works great.

    I'll gladly test any other patches, suggestions.

    Thanks,
    Tom

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:36    [W:0.027 / U:30.812 seconds]