    SubjectRE: Dell vs. GPL

    On Sun, 29 Jun 2003, David Schwartz wrote:

    > There are sections of the GPL that specifically state that those who
    >receive copies of covered works are intended beneficiaries. Like this
    >"For example, if you distribute copies of such a program, whether
    >gratis or for a fee, you must give the recipients all the rights that
    >you have. You must make sure that they, too, receive or can get the
    >source code. And you must show them these terms so they know their
    > It is quote clear that this entitlement is specifically intended to benefit
    >the recipients and not to benefit the copyright holder.

    I interpret this to mean 'distribute a copy of the GPL with all
    distributions of the source code, and make sure that it's followed', kind
    of a recursive inheritance thing...

    I'm still not seeing any evidence of anyone being blocked from obtaining
    the source code (although I haven't followed the whole thread)

    I repeat, did anyone ask dell for source code for this supposed violation?
    They are not bound to _distribute_ the source code with their software
    only to make it available in a reasonable fashion upon request.

    Or am I missing something here ?

    (not being argumentative here by the way, this is really interesting

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:46    [W:0.019 / U:50.336 seconds]