SubjectRe: [BUG]: problem when shutting down ppp connection since 2.5.70
On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 10:02:42 -0400
Chris Friesen <> wrote:

> Paul Mackerras wrote:
> > Is this the user-mode pppoe or the in-kernel pppoe? IOW, are you
> > using the pppoe channel type, or do you have the usermode program that
> > runs pppd behind a pty?
> I believe its the Roaring Penguin usermode one. I'm fairly sure PPPOE
> isn't enabled in the kernel. I'm at work now, so it'll have to wait
> till this evening to make sure.
> > And, do you have any TCP connections open over the link when you take
> > it down?
> On at least some of the occasions there should have been no connections
> open as the machine had just booted and the first thing I did after X
> came up was to shutdown adsl.
> > What version of pppd is it?
> Not sure--will check later. Pretty sure its Mandrake 9 default.
> > Has anyone been able to replicate this without using pppoe? The type
> > of channel shouldn't make any difference, but I just tried ppp over a
> > pty and it worked fine (except that Deflate is broken, but that's
> > another problem).
> Note that I can only reliably reproduce it if the dsl connection is
> brought up at init time. If I don't bring it up automatically at init
> but manually bring it up later, the problem doesn't seem to occur.
> Chris

PPP did have problems keeping track of the tty until the latest round
if fixes (2.5.73+). The ppp_async module wasn't using owner fields as

Also, see if bringing down the ppp connection with ifconfig
before attempting the rmmod helps. i.e.
ifconfig ppp0 down