    > > I've had some (off list) requests to see if the interactivity patch I
    > > posted shows any differences in contest. To be honest I wasn't sure it
    > > would, and this is not quite what I expected. Below is a 2.5.73-mm1
    > > patched with patch-O1int-0306271816 (2.5.73-O1i) compared to 2.5.73-mm1
    > > with contest (
    > These are good news, indeed. The patch is getting better and better, but
    > I'm still seeing XMMS audio skips when clicking on a URL inside
    > Evolution (and using Konqueror as my web browser), and sometimes when
    > moving windows around.
    > Also, it seems that nicing the X server to -20 causes it to get CPU at
    > discontinuous bursts, causing window movement to be somewhat jerky. The
    > overall feeling for the X server is better at a default nice of 0. Isn't
    > this curious?

    Not curious at all. I should have made it clear I was in _no_ way recommending
    renicing X. It should be left at nice 0 and the scheduler decide what is
    interactive. Renicing X will guarantee you of getting audio skips.

    There is still the problem of apps started during heavy loads. While the last
    patch helps a little, I have to do some more work on the algorithm and make
    it smarter to help a lot.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:36    [W:0.026 / U:0.460 seconds]