    SubjectRe: [OT] Re: Troll Tech [was Re: Sco vs. IBM]
    On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 17:57:36 -0700
    "Robert White" <rwhite@casabyte.com> wrote:

    > Stephen,
    >
    > So given this responsibility he has chosen to take, that you admire,

    Sorry, I said "respect", I didn't mean and say "admire".

    > and
    > that I have no aspirations towards because I already know it isn't an area I
    > will do well in...
    >
    > Is it responsible for him to pose a question about the source and nature of
    > innovation and then reply to the feedback he receives with "you've never run
    > a business so why should I listen to you"?

    Well, as all of the writers and readers of this and other threads are free
    people (I hope), he has a choice. I would not critize someone for his personal
    choice in such a matter, you may call it wrong from your point of view, but
    this is simply called "different opinions".

    > Is it responsible to start with the assumption that business is innovation
    > and non business is, by definition, *not* innovation? His position only
    > makes sense if this founding position ("business is the sole source of
    > meaningful innovation in software") is true. He will entertain no dissent
    > on that position no matter how many innovators claim otherwise.

    From the deepest ground of my heart I would say: YES. He has a right to think,
    say and do whatever he likes as long as it does not interfere with rights of
    others. I think you left the thread (already quite off-topic for LKML) and got
    to the "free speech" topic (completely off-topic for LKML).

    This is really a discussion, Rob. In a discussion you will meet all flavors of
    people including ones that don't like you or your sayings. Others may even
    ignore you completely. I think it's their right to do so. We are discussing a
    controverse topic here, so you can expect to convince nobody but yourself.
    Nevertheless you are free to talk about your personal opinion, because it gives
    others at least a chance to think about it, even if they don't tell you.

    Regards,
    Stephan

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:36    [W:5.122 / U:0.104 seconds]