    SubjectRE: [OT] Re: Troll Tech [was Re: Sco vs. IBM]
    Date
    Stephen,

    So given this responsibility he has chosen to take, that you admire, and
    that I have no aspirations towards because I already know it isn't an area I
    will do well in...

    Is it responsible for him to pose a question about the source and nature of
    innovation and then reply to the feedback he receives with "you've never run
    a business so why should I listen to you"?

    Is it responsible to start with the assumption that business is innovation
    and non business is, by definition, *not* innovation? His position only
    makes sense if this founding position ("business is the sole source of
    meaningful innovation in software") is true. He will entertain no dissent
    on that position no matter how many innovators claim otherwise.

    I didn't offer advice on accounting practices, sales channels, or even the
    proper way to apportion funds or apportion effort. I did not posit opinions
    on managing employees nor conserving costs. I offered my specific view
    directly related to my specific experience in the field he was addressing.

    I also took particular exception to receiving three emails that said
    (paraphrased), in order:

    1) I {Larry} glanced at what you wrote, who are you that I should care about
    your opinion.

    (I respond to this reasonable request with the rough overview of my
    experience in software development and "innovation")

    2) You've never run a business so you will forgive me if I {Larry} don't pay
    any attention to anything you have said; I already know that I can only
    learn things relating to business by competing against better businessmen.
    (e.g. the "I play pool and..." message)

    (which I totally let slide and was going to accept as an indication of a
    closed and pointless channel, but then, as a reply to a third party I
    get...)

    3) Exactly, I {Larry} consider all arguments no matter who poses them.

    (which is directly belied by message two)

    The rampant cupidity of the conflict between items two and three kind of set
    me off. It is not reasonable nor rational nor, I suspect, an indication of
    the kind of businessman I would want to have domain over my capital. It
    also exhausted all respect I felt towards Larry, about whom I had no prior
    opinion.

    And then I started behaving badly... 8-)

    Rob.